36F w/ fever for 6 days after the day of returning from Manzini, Eswatini. Stayed there 15 days, visited rural fields. Also, weakness, myalgia, night sweats, sore throat
What is your approach?
Many approaches possible.
Check out this amazing tweetorial by @BoggildLab
- Common things being common: In addition to RTI, gastroenteritis, SSTI, UTI/STI, DO NOT want to miss: MDRT (malaria, dengue, rickettsial infections, typhoid fever)
2. Beware of transmissible infections➡️infection prevention: Ebola, Marburg, Lassa, TB, MERS, SARS, Influenza
Here, we wanted to review “ABCDE” mnemonic by @WuidQ
Where did the patient travel?
- Central America
- South America
- Subsaharan Africa
- Southeast Asia
- South Central Asia
Great approach by regions here:
#Body for syndrome
1. Undifferentiated fever illness
3. Gastrointestinal: Diarrheal vs. Non-diarrheal.
Time between travel/exposures to onset of symptoms (Period of incubation)
What do you think of this table? Any feedback?
What vaccination/prophylaxis/medications did the patient receive?
Important information when thinking on preventable infections and resistant organisms.
Good mnemonic “I MD SOAPS” by @WuidQ
Special emphasis on:
Animals exposures/bites, vector bites
Activities (e.g. safari, caving, swimming, etc.)
- Common things being common: Think MDRT: Malaria, Dengue, Rickettsial infections, Typhoid fever
- Beware of transmissible infections -> Infection Prevention
- #ABCDE approach
#ABCDE mnemonic summarized in this infographic