As a part of our “Top 10 Papers” series, we compiled a list of our top 10 papers that every ID fellow needs to know related to native valve infective endocarditis. Obviously it is impossible to include all or the must read papers for such a huge topic, so reply with your own favorite papers/DOIs in the comments section. For more resources related to IE, see our Library entry compiled by Dr. Hunsinger (@DrH_flu). For more on prosthetic valve endocarditis, see our separate library entry here.
- NEJM Review article from 2020. Perfect for sharing with residents/ students!
- A great review and start point for IE by Dr. Chambers and Bayer.
- Using Transesophageal Echocardiography as the Reference Standard, the authors performed a meta-analysis to see how good TTE is for IE (spoiler alert, it’s not great).
- A systematic review on studies evaluating TTE for diagnosis of IE.
- Gomes et al evaluated the use of non-invasive imaging modalities such as F-FDG PET/CT for the diagnosis of IE.
- The EASE trial compared an early surgery strategy for IE to a “conventional treatment” approach. They found that an early surgery strategy significantly reduced composite endpoint of death and embolic events (primarily embolic events) in patients with large vegetations.
- The POET trial is a RCT noninferiority trial from Europe which demonstrated non-inferiority of transitioning to oral antibiotics from IV antibiotics for L side IE.
- This trial comes with very important caveats:
- Patients had intensive drug level monitoring that would be difficult to replicate in a real-world setting
- Patients were given combination therapy.
- Although 22% of cases were caused by S. aureus, there were no cases of MRSA enrolled.
- Observational multicenter study showed that Amp + Ceftriaxone appeared as effective as Amp + Gent for treating E. faecalis IE
- Berge et al. developed a prediction tool that helps to determine whether the patient needs a TEE to exclude IE in patients with E. faecalis bacteremia.
- Although score not widely used, this article shows the risk factors for IE in patients with non-β-hemolytic strep bacteremia.
- Observational cohort of 70 patient with Candida IE with emphasis on therapy and outcomes.
- Pasha et al. on the diagnosis and management of fungal endocarditis.
Which articles did we miss, or you would include in this list?