Prosthetic Valve Endocarditis
Systematic Reviews / Meta-analysess
- IE after TAVR. Enterococcus was the most common species, Khan et al. PLoS One. 2020;15(1):e0225077.
- IE after TAVR, Amat-Santos et al. JACC Cardiovasc Interv. 2015;8(2):334-346.
- Novel noninvasive imaging techniques for prosthetic valve IE Habets et al. Eur Radiol. 2015;25:2125-2133.
- Early valve surgery was not associated with lower mortality rate in patients with S. aureus PVIE ( Chirouze et al. Clin Infect Dis. 2015;60(5):741-749.)
- Mortality was higher in S. aureus PVIE treated medically compared to surgically, except no difference in patients <50y Sohail et al. Am J Med. 2006;119(2):147-154.
- PVIE patients without major complications may not need surgery but those with major complications should undergo surgery Hill et al. Am J Cardiol. 2008;101(8):1174-1178.
- PARTNER trial for TAVR: rate of IE was 0.7%. Enterococcus was by far the most common species. Svensson et al. Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2013;145(3)(suppl):S11-S16.
- Cardiac CT and TEE compared to intraoperative findings, specific to aortic prosthetic valves. Fagman et al. Eur Radiol. 2012;22:2407-2414.
- Cardiac CT for prosthetic valve IE. Habets et al. JACC Cardiovasc Imaging. 2012;5:956-961.
- Cardiac CT for surgical decision-making in aortic PVIE. Fagman et al. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2016;50:1165-1171.
- FDG-PET-CT for diagnosis of PVIE. Swart et al. Circulation. 2018;138(14):14-12-1427.
- Observational cohort on characteristics of PVIE; Staph is the most common isolate. Wang et al. JAMA. 2007;297(12):1354-1361.
- Characteristics of TAVR from IE after TAVR International Registry; Enterococcus was the most common organism. Regueiro et al. JAMA. 2016;316(10):1083-1092.
- Long-term prognosis of nonoperated PVIE. Lecomte et al. Clin Infect Dis 2020;71(5):1316-1319.
- IE after TAVR: the worst that can happen. Habib. J Am Heart Assoc. 2018;7(17):e010287.